Tuesday 20 February 2018

in b4 shit happens tomorrow

WARNING this is a really long and boring post about the first day of O-Week and the mini victories I had all day OK ok so just ... the tab can easily be closed by clicking on that lil x on the top right corner of the tab.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, first day of O-Week today left me feeling so happy and not the fleeting kind of happy that comes with getting drunk but the actual soul filling happy. Why? Because I had like a total of 3 awkward encounters the entire day FK YES!!! Y'alls know awkward encounters always leave me feeling like shit or about 2 days afterwards cus I think there's something wrong with me but YO IT HAPPENED SO LESS TODAY and I was soooo not self-conscious it was weird. LETS SEE HOW LONG THIS LASTS AYE XD

Woke up after like 3.5 hours of sleep. Niina fed me some whackass breakfast: watermelon, chia seeds and yogurt? Helps her shit apparently. I was scared of all the yogurt I consumed and whether it would make me diarrhoea or not but luckily it didn't.

Vivian's (WIE VP events) boyfriend picked us up from Niina's house and dropped us off at uni. We had to lug Niina's massif cooler all the way from Optom building to Tyree and our arms almost fell off. Set up WIESoc stall, got real sad about how small our stall was but ALL engineering societies were unhappy with their stalls... tied up merchandise bundles and then started getting signups. It was pretty hectic for a while and like the line didn't stop for long periods of time even with 2 computers.

Took a break and walked around getting freebies. We didn't get THAT much because it was around 12 and lines were way too long for the good shit like ASOS shirts and Commbank spin the wheel. I've never felt older and more experienced though. 3rd O-Week this time jesusssssss.

Then did my shift at BESS which was so useless lol. BESS is so small that they don't even have freebies to give out. When I got there, I introed myself to the people at the stall already and they were all so friendly n put me at ease straight away. Met Rachael, Shinami and some other dude but I forgot his name. They're like the type of people who are just so laid back that small talk doesn't feel like small talk? Was at that stall for about 1.5 hours and I was bored so started talking to Albert Chau who was in the Redback Racing stall next to us. We added each other on fb and turns out he went to OC at Georges Hall with my sister. Thinking about joining Redback next sem but he said a lotta people join so there might not be that much to do at the beginning?? Idk. Joanne visited me and she updated me about how VSA was doing n gave me a lychee cartoon drink what a swoonbae

Then walked up towards the BESS Student Introduction and saw like Larissa on the way?? Asked me how my trip to Japan was and we both said Korea was boring lmao. Dropped by VSA tent and never felt so loved in my life I was getting hugged by Dani and Viv and then EVEN NANCY DINH SAID HI TO ME like what and then Khang stared at me and shook his head like he always does and was like "nice shirt" cus I was wearing the WIESoc polo that had my name and "arc delegate" on it and I can't remember exactly but he said "I know a better position... marketing director" and I was like lowkey confused cus i didn't know if he was seriously telling me to apply for UNSW marketing director but nah i think they want a fresh kid to be marketing director?? IDK. Dalena offered me a ride home and joked about me being a woman in engineering and then Phuc was like whining cus he wanted to watch Blank Panther but he couldn't come with us since he was playing lol. the point is I didn't have a single awkward interaction and like I'm proud cus I always get nervous and flustered but at the same time I realise what a dumb thing it is to be proud of.

BESS Student Intro was kindaaaa awkward but not really cus I had Jason to talk to who was like not interested in meeting any new people at all. Basically, everyone in the BESS exec team already know each other (obviously) and since Jason and I were the only subcom members there, it was kinda hard to infiltrate their friendship group. That being said, a couple of them were super friendly (Shinami, Rachael) and talked to us. We helped like 8 groups make functioning prosthetic hands out of straws, elastic bands, cardboard and masking tape. Some people actually came up with some decent suff. Also I felt even older because the lecturers came to give their welcomes and this student coordinator were full giving the freshies some quality first-year advice and I remember being in their position and not knowing wtf I was getting myself into with uni.

Then went back down to WIESoc (was dying and dehydrated after drinking a can of V, some weird probiotic freebie, and tea) where I then ran into Michelle Chan and we had the most NOT AWKWARD CONVERSATION despite not having seen each other in about 3/4 of a year. I think I just vibe with Michelle lol she's so funny and dry and we got straight to insulting each other. She went to Canada for exchange (literally UBC where Canada actually goes) and had the best time. She said I should defs go on exchange and I was like... uh but I dont think I can go by myself and make new friends and she was like "if i can do it so can you" and I'm inside I'm like wow XD you overestimate my social skills and underestimate my anxiety HAHAHHA

Ran into Selina and Gabby somewhere in the day as well and I got another can of V from her bag cus I stole it and then she just said to take it SO I DID. V is good. I'M A BIG FAN.

Packed up WIESoc stall, had a super serious spontaneous meeting with Engsoc about our stall locations (I felt important as ~arc delegate) and then Niina and I struggled to carry the esky back to quad storage room.  We went to Roundhouse to watch Lizzie perform with her Yellow Shirts band and O M G she sang so well!!! Was so surprised cus her harmonies were so nice and she could full do some ACROBATIC vocal runs I was shook. Saw Lianus with Fletcher and also saw Andy lmao he's so in love with his YS squad.

Niina and I walked to the Ritz at Randwick to watch Black Panther but we got there a lil late and decided to just buy tickets for the next session. We went back to her house, ate my IGA winner winner chicken dinner, lazed around for a bit whilst she wrote some applications and then we left to go back to the Ritz. We were in Cinema 1 which was the biggest one and decided to sit at the very top in the front row. SUCH GOOD SEATS OMGGGG and the cinema looks so ~luscious with retro classy decorations. Thoughts on Black Panther below XD

ok vague complaint I'm writing down here so its not really aimed at anyone specific but it actually is: I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY SOMETHING REALLY INSULTING IN A NONCHALANT WAY. AND IF IT REPEATEDLY HAPPENS IM FUCKEN DONE AND GETTING ANGRY THINKING ABOUT THIS LIKE YOU FUCKING DON'T HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO SAY THIS SHIT TO ME YOU DON'T KNOW ME WELL ENOUGH dunno if our friendship is really worth shit anymore. I highly doubt this person still reads my blog though.

soz but why is drake SO loved?!?!? I legit don't understand it.

need to get up in 5 hours why do I do this to myself SKIN IS GETTING SHITTER AS I TYPE I CAN FEEL IT



Black Panther (2018) 

Dir. Ryan Coogler

Wish I had some hot takes on this movie but I don't. Its just really really really good. The last line that Michael B. Jordan's character says is so OUCH... I was shook that they actually went there.

Random Thoughts During The Movie (Spoilers Obviously)

Bruhhh Marvel is really stepping up their VFX/animation game. The opening scene with the sand and shit was just so visually appealing I turned to Niina and just nodded cus never seen anything like that before. The way the same was like moving and all the shadows and stuff - GOALS af. Saying that though some of their green screen fake backgrounds could do with some improvement + the weird rhinos looked so fake.

Daniel Kaluuya has such a distinct and creepy face. Can't remove his face from his character in Get Out tbh. Everytime I look at it I expect him to start leaking tears uncontrollably. IMO his character arc is the weakest thing in the entire movie.

The women have such nice skin. After you watch this you will understand. Not that I didn't notice it already in 12 Years a Slave but Lupita Nyong'o's face is like SO SMOOTH HOW. We likened it to fresh bread: when you poke it it'll barely leave a dent then spring back immediately.

Michael B Jordan needs to be a lead. I was captivated by him for reals cus he's so charismatic and just like idk COMMANDS THE FUCKEN SCREEN. Everytime he came on I was like wow. Black Panther seemed so vanilla compared to him.

Dead dad mystically speaking to you from the afterlife in a large field about how difficult it is to be a ruler? Lion King. If you've seen it you'll know what I mean HAAHAHAHHA its actually so trippy and weird.

The purpose of Martin Freeman's character is to show not all white people are bad. REALLY? I dunno I didn't really get why he was in the movie besides for that reason... I'm not used to his American accent as well haha

Music was amazing. legit this score was soooooooooo good and made me so hyped but it was also so distinct sounding. Like don't wanna be racist but the score sounded like the backing tracks in rap music. AHHHHH and they played All the Stars in the credits which matched it soooooo well. 

I really don't see any potential for a sequel. Just my 2c though since the most interesting thing about this movie was the battle between Black Panther and Killmonger's values. This wasn't your generic Marvel movie where the main character experiences a moral dilemma within themselves BEFORE they resolve this moral dilemma and defeat the fundamentally "evil" antagonist. There is NO "evil" antagonist in this movie. Both Black Panther and Killmonger have their own views on how to best serve their world/country and both views are frustratingly understandable so as an audience member you don't revel in Black Panther defeating Killmonger - surprisingly there is no satisfaction at all when Killmonger dies and I think that's where this movie succeeds the most: the entertainment comes from trying to understand the villain who ultimately wasn't a villain at all. 

Does that make sense? I hope so. If not - as I was told frequently in HSC English - please comment below, "a solid response". 

0 comments:

Post a Comment