Sunday 26 February 2017

o-week trash

Love how I didn't blog about O-Week for the rest of the week because literally nothing happened. I just saw people that I hadn't seen in a while and got to know the WIE fam a little better. Also on the last day they just left the pad bins out so I took 10 and stuffed them into the yellow shirt tour bag. They were giving out caffeine vape pens that I missed out on :(

Welcome to my life I only have two hand gestures when I pose for photos

this is so wonderfully candid
saw tiff!! she was helping us test our camera settings haha we couldn't figure out how to change brightness cus so noob
OMG DELLIN IS THE FUNNIEST GUY he couldn't remember someone's name so he started hitting his head on the tent pole
10/10 (photo)
These photos aren't too bright you're too bright
I'm still not over Catherine Guo's hair its so nice and fairy floss-y
wow so close up so candid much deep double chin popping out to say hi what
hey angel u duh sexy
There are many more O-Week photos but most that have me in them are shit. Coincidence? I think nottttt

Oh my lord indices is confusing the fuck out of all my students this is round 2 of teaching this topic and I'm still shit WHY IDK HOW TO STRUCTURE THIS TOPIC SO THEY AREN'T CONFUSED SOMEONE HELP I'm going to have a nightmare marking this week's homework. 

probably gonna quit soon but before I do my Year 9s better be fucking flawless at indices.

Only 1 more week of selective tutoring left.
I was really ceebs to go the board games thing tonight especially because I knew no one there so I was like to my co-worker "my sister needs the car tonight so I can't go :(((" cus she actually did need to car and then he was like "no problem I can drive you" and then I was like 
"I'm kinda tired........" and I could tell he wasn't buying it and now I'm sad because this is precisely why I have no friends.

thank you willa for finally noticing me I literally screenshotted her review on letterboxd and just reposted it on tumblr AND IT FINALLY SHOWED UP ON HER FEED

********************
MOVIE STUFF
********************

fucking HELP ME this

Pariah (2011)

Dir. Dee Rees
This movie broke mi heart. Tempted to compare this to Moonlight but then I realised maybe that's racist because the only similarity they share is they're both black, gay, coming-of-age stories.

The scenes when her mum is trying to make her wear pink clothes and go shopping with her is literally my relo with my mum HAHAHA she is so overjoyed when I actually purchase things that are not black.

YEAH THE BRADFORD YOUNG!! Some shots in this I just had to stop and be like woah so prettttyyyyyyyyyy HOW DEY DO THAT bless this man. I want to be a cinematographer it kinda looks fun and you have to problem solve all the time.
He speaks so much truth. (also this interview includes clips of most of his movies and EVERYTHING IS SO AESTHETIC LIKE BYE). He really loves what he's doing. I need to find my passion -.-
If you have 86 minutes of your life to spare I highly highly highly recommend watching Pariah. Fave happens to love it as well HAHAHA

Hop on the Oscars Hype Train

Yoooooooooooooooooooooo the Academy Awards are coming up so real soon I hope the ghost is not hibernating in her hobo cave and actually shows up. Tbh lost faith in the Academy when I found out Carol wasn't even nominated for best picture in 2016 fucken bye.

This is who I'll be cheering for on Monday:

Best Picture - Arrival / La La Land
Arrival was so good can someone help explain why is it not winning all the awards. Although I still have mixed feelings about La La Land, it's probably going to win and I like the music so might as well be happy for it. If Moonlight wins...................................

Lead Actor - Casey Affleck (Manchester By the Sea)
I LOVE HIM he's such a chill dude despite the many sexual allegations against him. Lmao strong feminist right here. He's probably going to win because HE WAS SO FUCKING GOOD unless Academy voters spite him because of the controversy.

Lead Actress - Emma Stone ish (La La Land)
I really don't have a preference here. Tired of her boring-af speeches. She used to be so funny on Jimmy Fallon and all that but now she cares too much about what people think (maybe she just tryna campaign for the awards and act poised or some shit idk). Also I haven't seen Loving, Jackie or Florence Foster Jenkins so only have Isabelle to compare Emma to, and Emma was better.

Supporting Actor - Dev Patel (Lion)
FUCK YES DEV PATEL. The favourite to win is Mahershala Ali for Moonlight but I just loved Lion so so so much. HIS AUSSIE ACCENT I WAS JUST DYING CUS IT WAS SO AUTHENTIC CAN YOU BE IN LOVE WITH HOW GOOD AN ACCENT IS?? Mahershala was literally in Moonlight for like 15 minutes and I guess he was good? 

Supporting Actress - Michelle Williams (Manchester By the Sea)
OMG YES SHE WAS SO SO SO GOOD IN THIS and I'm totally contradicting myself because she was in it for 5 minutes but she stole the whole movie in those 5 minutes. The main emotional scene in this between her and Casey I could not breathe it was AMAZING. I haven't seen Fences but Viola Davis probably going to win for it.

Best Director - Damien Chazelle (La La Land)
Give this sickly-looking man the Oscar he deserved for Whiplash.

Animated Feature - Kubo and the Two Strings
Hello I didn't even like this movie that much but y'all know who I stan and it was so aesthetic. I have no attachment to the other nominees.
Her: KUBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Me: and the oscar for best supporting actress goes to

Adapted Screenplay - Moonlight
Something about the dialogue in Moonlight feels so authentic unlike the others.

Original Screenplay - Manchester By The Sea
Beats out La La Land and the Lobster easily. Kenneth Lonergan just extracted all the feels from my body and flushed them down the toilet. He wrote in all the overlapping dialogue and the pauses and it was extremely detailed but somehow the actors made it seem totally natural. Who knows how people write art.

Cinematography - Arrival (Bradford Young) / La La Land (Linus Sandgren)
FUCKING YES BRADFORD YOUNG WIN ALL THE AWARDS (tbh should've won for the instagram ad that was Ain't Them Bodies Saints) but I watched Arrival on this tiny TV and could see the beauty in it. I also appreciate what La La Land did so won't be mad if it wins because have y'all seen this video??
I feel like it looks really impressive to peasants like us but it's probably a technique they use a lot in movies HAHAHAH

Film Editing - La La Land (Tom Cross)
Not entirely sure how to judge good editing but from what I understand each cut is supposed to make evoke an emotional response from you so I guess La La Land would be the best pick for this???? #unqualified. Will give them bonus points for seamlessly stitching multiple takes together to make it look like a single one.

Original Score - La La Land
There is no other choice

Original Song - "City of Stars" (La La Land)
There is literally no other choice

And that's about it for the categories I care about. Why do I care in the first place is the real question.
forever and always

0 comments:

Post a Comment